You have a goal.
You want to lose weight?
You want to run a 5k?
You’d like to get in shape?
You want to sleep and feel better?
You want to help control a disease or illness with a healthier lifestyle?
All of the above?
If you really want to achieve your goals, here are 6 tips to make your healthy living goals stick!
1. Ask yourself some questions:
- What ARE your goals? Be specific. Instead of ‘I want to lose weight’ think of how much weight you want to lose. Don’t make your goal to run more, give yourself a specific goal such as running a certain amount per week or completing a race.
- When? Establish a time frame of when you would like to complete your goal.
- Are you making your goal realistic? It is attainable?
- What are the steps required to reach your goal? Say you want to run a 5k. Do you need to find a beginners 5k running plan? How many days a week will you need to run? Have you signed up for a 5k yet? Do you need to buy running shoes?
- How are you going to measure your success as you go along?
- What do you want to get out of it? What benefits are there for completing your goal? How will you feel when you accomplish your goal? How will it feel to cross the finish line at that 5k?
- And my favorite question… How will you reward yourself??
2. Write out your goal and all of your answers to the above questions. Post them in your home or your car so you will see them often. Having a visual reminder will help to keep you focused and can be a good kick in the bootay if you start to fall away from your plan.
3. Make completing your goal a PRIORITY. I know that for myself this is extremely important. Stay focused and make the time to complete the steps to achieve your goal.
4. I find it very helpful to make some short and long term goals. It always boosts my confidence when I complete short term goals. This just helps keep me going towards my long term goals. You can say, “Look at what I have accomplished! I can do this!”
5. Always remember WHY you want to complete your goal and keep that in the back of your mind.
6. Keep track of your progress in a journal and in some cases, even take pictures as you go along. It will make you super proud once you are finished and it feels great to look back at how far you have come to complete your goal. This is also very helpful if you need a little inspiration to keep going.
Taking time to set some goals can make the difference between just thinking about a goal and actually achieving it. A set goal and well thought out plan will keep you motivated and on track. Enjoy yourself and your journey!
A goal without a plan is just a wish. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
What are some of your healthy living goals?
Have any tips or tricks to reaching your goals?
What is one thing you did today to reach your goals?