If you’re dealing with a chronic disease (lupus or otherwise) there are so many things that are out of your control and it can be hard to find anything good. If you’re dealing with an active flare, or just the normal every day aspects of disease, it can be hard to focus on anything else. I have found that it is the simple things that keep me going… and happier.
- Taking a hot soak in the tub with some epsom salts and/or essential oils. The salt can help with body aches along with the hot water. It also will help to relieve muscle tension. I throw the oils in just because I like it to smell good too. 🙂
- Drinking lots of water. Seriously. I try to drink at least 80 oz of water a day. I know it is good for my kidneys (which I try to keep as healthy as possible). My brain feels clearer. I feel less hungry (I eat when I’m stressed, bored or sad). My body craves it! Plus, my skin always looks the best when I’m been drinking my water regularly. It is one GOOD thing I can do for my body no matter what else is going on.
- Watching funny videos on YouTube. I know this is all stupidly simple stuff, but it works! As a mom I end up watching a lot of toddler cartoons and the news during the day, and maybe a show or two at night… but The Walking Dead isn’t exactly funny and gets my adrenaline going too much. Watching some stupid videos on Youtube helps take my mind off things for awhile, and most of the time I find something funny and I can finally laugh a little bit.
- Going to bed early. Sometimes you just have to. My body tells me when I need it. By 6 or 7 pm I feel it. That exhaustion that only people with chronic disease can understand. You don’t even want to eat or brush your teeth, you just want rest. Let yourself go to bed early. Everything will still be there tomorrow, but you yourself will feel better and can face it all then.
- Look up an inspirational quote for how you’re feeling. When I need some oomph because I am feeling physically or psychologically garbage-like I will do some Googling and find a quote that really speaks to me. I try to share them with you all too, because from your emails I know a lot of you go through the same things. I try my best to focus on that quote for the rest of the day.
- Curl up in a comfy chair with a blanket and read a book with a cup of tea or coffee. Now, I haven’t had much time to do this lately, but this is absolutely one of my favorite things to do. No matter the time of year or what is going on, this is a surefire way to help me feel more at ease and help me cope with whatever is going on.
So. Very simple things. And this isn’t all of them, but just a few that are easy to accomplish in a day when you don’t feel like you can do much else. Take care of yourself! Try to do at least one simple thing to bring a little joy and peace to your day.
What are some things YOU do to help yourself? Please share!